The rules for posting are simple!

1. Every Friday post a photo that includes one or more flowers.
2. Please only post photos you have authority to use.
3. Include a link to this blog in your post - http://floralfridayfoto.blogspot.com/
4. Leave the link to your FloralFridayFoto post below on inlinkz.
5. Visit other blogs listed ... comment & enjoy!

When to Post:
inlinkz will be available every Thursday and will remain open until the next Wednesday.

Thursday 3 September 2015

FFF198 - STRIPED CAMELLIA

Camellia is a genus of flowering plants in the family Theaceae. They are found in eastern and southern Asia, from the Himalayas east to Japan and Indonesia. There are 100–250 described species, with some controversy over the exact number. The genus was named by Linnaeus after the Jesuit botanist Georg Joseph Kamel, who worked in the Philippines, though he never described a camellia.

Of economic importance in the Indian subcontinent and Asia, leaves of C. sinensis are processed to create the popular beverage, tea. The ornamental Camellia japonica, Camellia oleifera and Camellia sasanqua and their hybrids are represented in cultivation by a large number of cultivars.

Striped camellias, or striped flowers for that matter, were once considered quite regal and a much sought after commodity. Today, they seem to be the least favourite camellia cultivar, accounting for only 7.5% of camellias encountered in Australia.

C. japonica 'Helenor' 1848, shown here, is still quite popular as a garden plant. It is a tough bush, producing mid-pink blooms that are dashed and striped with darker pink,  in a lovely formal double arrangement (which sometimes opens to rose form double).

Join me for Floral Friday Fotos by linking your flower photos below, and please leave a comment once you have done so.
***If you take part in the meme, please show an active link back to this site on your own blog post!***

20 comments:

  1. Pretty. I did not know they came in striped varieties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish that camellia were hardy here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Camellias are one of my three favorite flowers 0 and there are so many varieties!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Pic of a Gorgeous Flower!!
    Greetings from Sweden!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Surprised to read that striped ones are not that popular. I love them. Such a pretty blossom and photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. After I'm back from vacation, I'll be back!
    Camellias I also always beautiful, but often they have to be taken not good because of the light. They often act outshone. Yours is very well made!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Nick,
    I love Camellias, they are so wonderfull!
    Have a nice friday,
    moni

    I would be glad very much if you visit my Blog:
    http://www.reflexionblog.de

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nick, splendid pattern. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! Would love to be able to grow these in the North.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That is a gorgeous flower! I've never seen one like it before. Thank you for sharing it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely Photo! Great shade of pink!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nice flower....
    I like the colour and the sprinkels....
    A great shot.
    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have collected roses with striped blooms but don't have the lovely Camellia. It is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pretty! The petals remind me of Alice in Wonderland when the cards are painting the roses red!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Camellia. I have a white one in my garden. I also like the leaves and their healthy shiny green color.

    ReplyDelete